In the words of John Oliver regarding the results of the 2016 election, “THIS IS NOT NORMAL.” Now, I don’t pretend to know what exactly is normal, but I do know the future administration is dangerous and wrong and something has to be done before it goes too far.
This is beyond politics and who ‘won’ or ‘lost’. . . this is about human rights and the willingness of many Americans to overlook racism, sexism, xenophobia, and ableism to choose a beyond-UNqualified person to lead our nation at the highest level. . . it is sad, and it is scary.
Because I care about my own rights as well as yours, and because I care about the well-being of all of my neighbors, I wholeheartedly and financially (when possible) support the following organizations and groups:
• The National Audubon Society, The Arbor Day Foundation, and The Sierra Club because I know our planet’s climate is changing in negative ways and all people need to pay more caring attention to save the awesome world we share.
• The AntiDefamation League for supporting those who have been treated unfairly for generations for their religious beliefs. (I also support all beliefs and religions as long as they nourish kindness and spirituality, not guilt, shame, or profit)
• The ACLU for supporting the rights of all Americans and providing services to those who would otherwise be left to fend for themselves while fighting for justice.
• Planned Parenthood for supporting me during many of my late teen years when I needed routine care and advice, but especially when I (and my partner) made the decision to terminate a pregnancy and their staff treated me ethically, professionally, and full of genuine concern.
• The YWCA for supporting women and minorities by providing safe and secure places that include therapists and sexual abuse counselors who have helped countless survivors of abuse, including myself on more than one occasion.
• The Domestic Violence Center of Grays Harbor for their support of survivors of abuse and sexual assault by providing critical services and safe spaces and for co-hosting local women’s support groups.
• Gray’s Harbor Beyond Survival and the LGBTQ community for their support of all victims of sexual violence and people from all walks of life. GHBS has been a life-saver for me since this summer as I finally learn to heal from my past abuse and find my way in the future, especially in times like this when it feels like being a woman is a curse. I’m grateful to their staff of advocates and volunteers and to other survivors who have the courage to help.
• And YOU. . . no matter your age, sex, race, abilities, sexual orientation, nationality, political affiliation, or religion, as long as you behave fairly and kindly towards others and practice rational, logical thinking.
To that end, I am really looking forward to celebrating inclusion and joy this Saturday at the I Will Survive Drag Show to benefit Beyond Survival and their new LGBTQ programs. My heart and my dollars will show how much I care for others and support their struggles, because they are my struggles, too. And that feels normal to me.